Tuesday, September 28, 2010

1st entry - It's scary!








   
"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."     T.S.Eliot




I'm starting a blog to hopefully make sense of what I have been doing with myself for the last 35 years. The plan is to give myself a mini retrospective  - or introspective as the case may be. The idea is to sort through journals, notebooks,  sketches and photographs, put them in some kind of order - maybe chronological, maybe emotional, and post them for whoever is interested to see.  Some of the work is terrible, some mediocre, and some great. I plan to show the great stuff.  The art world is, for the most part, a seemingly impenetrable profession. Artists appreciate art most of all - I have come to think of myself as an "artist's artist", as the ones who truly love and understand my work have for the most part been other artists whose work, I might add, I mutually admire.
 
I have come to realize at this stage in my life, I no longer have the luxury to stay in my studio and create art, but too quickly approaching the fearful (and incredulous) age of 60.  Have to figure out Plan B - second half of life.  And finding myself with no skills except having some artistic talent which doesn't get one too far these days, I am in the challenging position (after a long and prosperous run) of having to make some money. Things are further complicated by my immobilization brought on by such things as depression, fear, anger and anxiety to name a few. Armed with these insights, I have begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment